Windows offers many options when it comes to preloaded fonts. Whether you’re working with a simple text editor like Notepad or something like Illustrator, you have a lot of options. However, there are times when the default fonts just aren’t enough and we need something else. For those times, Windows allows users to install fonts on the system with ease. So if you want to install fonts that you have downloaded in Windows 11 (or Windows 10) or are looking for a new font in general, you have come to the right place. Read on to learn how.
Install fonts in Windows 11
In this article, we will cover all the ways you can install fonts in Windows 10 and Windows 11. Furthermore, we will also discuss how you can download new fonts to use on your Windows PC. As always, you can use the table of contents to navigate through this article.
How to install fonts in Windows 11 and Windows 10
There are a few ways to install fonts in Windows 11 and Windows 10. We will detail three different methods for this. If one doesn’t work for you, move on to the next.
Method 1: use the source file
The simplest and easiest way is to use the source file of the font. You must have noticed that the file we downloaded will have arrived in a compressed ZIP folder. So before we start installing the font, we will need to extract it. Follow the steps below to extract and install the various fonts in Windows 11 and Windows 10.
1. Right click on the compressed font file and select ‘Remove all‘. If you are using Winrar like I am, please choose ‘Extract files‘.
2. Choose the destination where you want your font folder to be. For the sake of simplicity, I am using my desktop. printing Extract or okay depending on whether you are using the Windows or Winrar extractor.
3. Your desktop will now have a folder with the name of the font as the title. Double click on it to open it.
Depending on the font you downloaded, you will now see single or multiple files. By following the names, you can see that these are the various styles of the same font. If you want only one style, you can install it on your Windows 11 PC.
Four. The right button of the mouse the font file and choose Install on pc or Install for all users. The latter will be installed for all user accounts on your PC.
The font installation will start and finish in just a few seconds and you’re done. You can choose to repeat the steps above to install all the different fonts in Windows 11.
Method 2: install from Control Panel
If the first method is not suitable for you, the Control Panel is another way to install fonts in Windows 11. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Open the Windows start menu and write Control panel in the search bar. Click the result as it appears.
2. The control panel will display a list of items to choose from. Find and click Sources of the list. However, if you have chosen the category option, you can click Appearance and Personalization> Fonts.
3. A full directory of preloaded fonts will now appear in Windows 11. This is where we will add our new font.
4. Open the folder of the previously downloaded font and choose the font you want to install. Then simply drag and drop it from that folder to the font grid you see above.
Your chosen font will automatically install in seconds and you’re done.
Method 3: use the Font Settings app
Definitely the laziest method for Windows users among you, the Font Settings app is a modified version of the drag-and-drop method we used previously. Users looking to install fonts in Windows 11 can take advantage of this one too. Follow the steps below to do so:
1. Open the Windows start menu and write Fountain in the search bar. Click the result as it appears.
2. The following window will open showing the different fonts installed in Windows 11. You will also see a rectangular box titled ‘Drag and drop to install‘which is what we will use.
3. Open the already downloaded fonts folder and choose the font you want to install. Then just drag it from that folder to the rectangular drag and drop box that you see.
The font will take a few seconds to install and you’re done! You can find the font in any text editor of your choice. Just find it and start using it.
How to download fonts
It’s no wonder that most online sources are paid for and require you to shell out money to use them. However, that doesn’t mean that good free fonts don’t exist. If you don’t know where or how to find fonts to download for Windows, follow the steps below to do so. We will use Google Fonts for this as the website offers a ton of free fonts.
1. With your browser open, visit Google Fonts.
You will come across a complete directory of various free fonts. As you can see, the fonts are available in various styles and languages. You can even search for a specific font using the search bar above. I myself am a supporter of Roboto and since it is not in my system that is what I will choose.
2. Click on the font you have chosen once to open its page. You will be taken to another page that shows you the font styles. You can enter your own sentence to see what it will look like.
3. Once you are satisfied that this is your source, click on the Download Family button in the upper right. This will download all the styles from that font.
4. Choose the save path then press Save money. Your font has now been downloaded.
You can choose to repeat the steps above and download as many fonts as you like.
Install and use new fonts in Windows 11 and Windows 10
Feel free to use any of the above methods to install your favorite fonts in Windows 11. While these methods have been detailed for Windows 11, they also work with Windows 10. That being said, if you are still using Windows 10, you can easily update Windows. 10 to Windows 11 for the latest Windows 11 features, security enhancements, and more.
So are you in doubt about installing new fonts on your Windows 11 computer? Let us know in the comments.