Tik Tok topped the worldwide chart for daily app downloads on iOS and Google Play worldwide for apps on Christmas Day, according to Annie app, the mobile data and analytics company. Telegram was ranked No. 7 as consumers continue to prioritize encrypted messaging services alongside the strong network effects of a growing user base.
Shopee ranked # 8, the highest ranked shopping app worldwide, driven by strong acceptance in India, LATAM and Southeast Asia. Spotify ranked # 9 worldwide in downloads. The music streaming app likely got a boost in demand from its year-end ‘wrapped’ campaign which has been widely shared on social media.
In terms of games, History of the brain: Complicated puzzle Onesoft’s ranked No. 1 after a version released on December 21, 2021 shortly after the launch of the app store. Poppy string set, an open world action game from Zego Studio ranked # 2 and Rocket League side scrolling By Psyonix (Epic Games) ranked # 3 – a race car soccer game popularized on PC and console, this is the latest example of a game title successfully migrating to mobile devices.
In the USA, Oculus was # 1 for downloads on Christmas Day when Americans unwrapped the new Oculus virtual reality (VR) headset under the tree. This builds on the growing trend for metaverses and immersive experiences. Youtube was the # 2 app for downloads, followed by Tik Tok, then Snapchat – showcase the power of short form video and engaging user-generated content.
In the United Kingdom, NHS app It ranked first for downloads at Christmas, as consumers sought to access their COVID Pass to get shots or test results in the middle of a vacation trip. Amazon alexa It was ranked No. 5, which could indicate that IOT products top the Christmas wish lists this year.
App Downloads – Other cool ideas include:
- HBO Max # 1 for US Consumer Spending: From In-App Subscriptions, Likely Due to Increase in The Matrix Resurrections released on December 22th in theaters and HBO Max
- In the United Kingdom, Disney + was the preferred streaming app in terms of subscriptions
- VeVe – Top 10 WW and UK – NFT / Digital Collectibles
- Fitbit was one of the best apps by spend in the UK, which could be linked to demand for IOT devices
- Roblox ranked # 1 for downloads and spending in the US and UK as consumers searched for metaverses for connection and creativity.
Read the full blog here.